Thursday, July 24, 2008

Starting Today - Apple Pectin

With the help of friends I have decided to start this blog site.  It is meant to offer folks a timely review of what is happening in my preserving kitchen throughout the seasons.  Right now it is all about making apple pectin.

Funny, but the other day I met with some old timers in the Extension study group program (more on that later) and they whipped out a copy of a sheet on making pectin from apples last printed in March 2000.  Even my good friend Marge, a retired home economist, didn't know about it.  So again, I am reminded that there is a lot of really good information about there that has gotten lost or went to the wayside when folks wanted convenience (boxed pectin) over natural pectin (from apples).

So now is the time.  Early drop apples and later, crabapples, are the way to go for making pectin.  The recipe for both making it and using it can be found on my website www.portlandpreserve.com so I won't go into it other then to say now is the time.  I like to make a lot at this time of year so I have it on hand when it is strawberry season again.  Strawberries, unlike other high pectin fruit, require the addition of pectin to make the jam jam.  That's where the apple pectin comes in.  

Today I am going out to pick marionberries and loganberries if I can find a place.  They require less pectin then strawberries but if I don't add a little currant juice (currants are in the market now) I will add a little apple pectin for good measure.  Again, all the information about making, using and storing apple pectin is on my website but I wanted you to think about making the stuff now and canning or freezing it for future use.  It's what's up in my preserving kitchen today.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Hey, that was easy, wasn't it?

Did you pick apples at Mary's? I really don't like how the Pomoma's stuff sets up, so I do want to do apple pectin.

fasenfest said...

Yeah, I did get Mary's apples but she will tell you which ones are better for making pectin. Some of the little green ones are really more suited for sauce making.

And Pomona, I don't really like the texture either.